Phlebotomy, the act of drawing blood, is essentially used to analyze and diagnose a patient’s condition. It includes profoundly developed, thoroughly tested techniques and needles that guarantee the security and solace of the patient and the uprightness of the gathered samples.
For your convenience, YourHealthSouth offers a ‘walk-in’ service. However, patients are advised to book an appointment as patients of our clinic are given priority. Waiting times during clinical hours can reach up to 45 minutes or more if appointment is not booked.
If you must fast before your blood test, please ensure you have fasted for 12 hours prior to your test. You may sip small amounts of water and take any necessary medications.
Light Blue Top – Sodium Citrate, either 3.2% or 3.8% Citrate. Citrate is an anticoagulant it binds Calcium which is needed for coagulation. Result is RBC and Plasma. This tube goes to Coagulation for Prothrombin time and other coagulation tests.
• Additive: Sodium Citrate (3.2% or 3.8%) (Citrate is an anticoagulant so the blood will not clot prior to testing).
• Most common tests: to determine coagulation disorders
- Additive: activator and silicone coated interior
• Most common tests: routine chemistry, serology, immunochemistry and TDM testing.
Green / Light Green Top
• Additive: Sodium herparin, lithium heparin
• Most common tests: for plasma determinations in chemistry
Purple / Lavender Top
• Additive: EDTA K2, EDTA K3
• Most common tests: hemoglobin, complete blood count
• Additive: EDTA K2
• Most common tests: blood hematology and blood banking
• Additive: Potassium oxalyate and sodium fluoride. Sodium fluoride/ Na2 EDTA
• Most common tests: Glucose levels, blood alcohol levels, lactate, bicarbonate
• Additive: Acid citrate dextrose (ACD) solution A or ACD solutions B
• Most common tests: Blood banking, DNA testing
Royal Blue Top
• Additive: Sodium heparin
• Most common tests: Blood heavy metals